For our Members Needing to File for Unemployment Benefits

Here are the documents our members need to prepare in advance of applying online. Advance collection of this information is helpful because some application sites will time out after a bit. Note some States might differ slightly on what is required, but this is pretty much the standard.

  • Social Security Number.
  • State Driver’s License or State Issued ID (Note: applications may still be completed without these two items).
  • Mailing address, city, state and ZIP code.
  • Know the county within the state where member resides.
  • The names, addresses, and phone numbers of all of member’s employers for the last 18 months.
  • The last day on the job immediately prior to filing this UI claim.
  • If our member received severance, vacation, holiday or payment for unused sick pay: give the amount (before deductions) and the date it was paid to member.
  • The name and local number of our member’s union hall, if applicable.
  • Alien Registration Number, if applicable.
  • Copy # 4 of member’s DD Form 214 if released from the military in the last 18 months*
  • SF 8 or SF 50 if employed in Federal Civilian service in the last 18 months *
  • If member is collecting a pension (other than Social Security), member will need the start date of the pension and the monthly benefit amount.

When you are ready to file, go to the New York State website and click on “Unemployment Assistance”

If you have questions or need additional information, please contact your Business Representative. Contact information here:

Business Representatives:

You may also like...